August 27th 2020 Update to Families re Back to School
Hello Admiral Westphal Elementary Families,
After six months apart, we are so excited to welcome students and staff back to our building! The first day of school for students is Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
We recognize that you may have questions. Supporting your child’s return to school is our highest priority. COVID-19 has changed what our school and school day will look like, but it has not changed the quality of education, or the care and support that your child will receive.
There will be many changes to routines in September. Among the changes:
• Every day, including the first day of school, students will enter the building as soon as they arrive for the 9:00 am start. Supervision will begin at 8:40 am and students will go straight to their classrooms when they arrive to avoid gathering on the playground.
• Dismissal will be at 3pm and students are expected to leave school and not gather on the playground. Your child’s teacher will let you know the procedure they will follow for dismissal before the first day of school.
• Schools will limit outside visitors, including parents/guardians. Drop offs and pickups will be done outside, and people will not be allowed to congregate in groups outside the school, as per the COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for Schools.
• All students who ride a school bus will be required to wear a mask.
• All students in Grades 4 to 12 and all staff will be required to wear a mask when they are unable to physically distance.
• Increased handwashing and sanitizing as students enter and exit school and throughout the day.
Over the course of the next week, leading up to the first day of school, we will continue to outline what students and families can expect. These updates will be sent by email and posted on our website at: https://awe.hrce.ca/
All students are returning to school as outlined in Nova Scotia’s Back to School Plan. To learn more about the plan, visit www.novascotia.ca/backtoschool.
We want to assure you that together, we’ve got this. We all have a role to play in helping students feel safe and supported when they return to school.
Please feel free to reach out to me firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. MacDonald, at email@example.com at any time, we are here for you!
Sherri MacDonald (Principal)
Wade MacDonald (Vice- Principal)